Friday, March 25, 2011
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AFRICAN WOMEN'S DEVELOPMENT FUND
African Women's Development Fund
Executive Director of The African Women's Development Fund USA
March 14th, 2011
Dear Willy ,
Position Specification: Executive Director of The African Women's Development Fund USA
Chicago, IL preferred, but not required
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors
African Women's Development Fund USA (AWDF USA) is a 501c(3) organization created to raise visibility and financial support in the United States for The African Women's Development Fund (AWDF) based in Accra, Ghana. AWDF is a grant-making organization that supports women's organizations across the continent of Africa. Over the past 10 years, AWDF has made grants totalling more than $16M US to 800 women's organizations in over 43 African countries. Please see awdf.org for more information.
This is a new position and the first paid position of AWDF USA. Prior to this time, the work of AWDF USA has been done by volunteers and a short-term consultant. This position will be supported by a part-time bookkeeper and administrative assistant.
AWDF USA seeks an Executive Director (the "ED") that will enable the organization to be strategic and influential in a rapidly changing and demanding global environment. The ED is responsible for creating and advancing AWDF USA's mission and vision. The ED is also responsible for the overall management of AWDF USA and the implementation of its policies. This individual reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for keeping the Board engaged and informed so that they can fulfill the governance responsibilities entrusted to them. Specifically, the ED will be responsible for Fundraising, Marketing, Finance and Administration, Management and Leadership, Communications and External Relationships, and Board Relations.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will have a strong track record of proven leadership ability and be capable of juggling many priority projects working independently. This individual should possess the capacity to assess, analyze and design strategic organizational structures, programs and processes and handle the organization's day-to-day operations.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the challenges facing start-up global organizations and possess the creative vision to address these challenges effectively. The ED must be a strong decision-maker, facilitator, inspiring leader, and passionate advocate who can effect change where it is needed.
Specific previous experiences and qualifications include:
· Passionate belief in the AWDF's mission, vision, and values.
· Demonstrated commitment to the human rights of women and a global feminist perspective.
· Integrity and high ethical standards with a reputation for fairness and transparency.
· Strong sensitivity and commitment to cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual, and socioeconomic diversity.
· Demonstrated fundraising track record and experience in strategic marketing. The ability to compete for and win philanthropic support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
· Experience working with members of a Board of Directors with a history of strengthening proper governance guidelines and building the consensus necessary to ensure organizational success.
· Creativity and innovation in conceptualizing, identifying, and pursuing opportunities, partnerships, and resource development.
· Proven ability to create constructive partnerships among diverse constituencies, to strengthen consensus building, collaboration, and communication.
· Effective verbal and written communications, including excellent public speaking skills for formal and extemporaneous presentations and the ability to clearly and convincingly communicate the work and vision of AWDF USA.
· Working knowledge of international development, human rights, and the feminist movement internationally.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to use diplomacy effectively.
· Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
An undergraduate degree is required. A graduate degree in a relevant field of study such as global/international affairs or development, women's/gender studies, human rights, law, non-profit management, international business, or MBA is highly preferred.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract outstanding candidates
To apply for this position, please send a letter of interest, resume and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com or to AWDF USA at 122 S. Michigan Ave.., Suite 1850 Chicago, IL 60603 by 5pm CST on April 1, 2011.
Abena P.A. Busia
Committee Chair for the AWDF USA Executive Search